1st - 2nd Grade
"Fall Into Order"- A fall themed, differentiated center/game that focuses on putting words into ABC order. This game is great for 1st and 2nd graders of differing abilities. It is also appropriate for a school or homeschooled setting, as well as, for special education instruction. In one center, students are able to physically manipulate the words to help make the activity more concrete.
Common Sore Standards:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.1 Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.1.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.2.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
Students will physically manipulate words to put them in alphabetical order, or place the words in alphabetical order when looking at a list. Students will complete an extension activity to demonstrate their understanding.
- Alphabet Mat (pg. 3)
- Fall themed word cards (pg. 4-5)
- Extension Worksheet for Word Cards (pg. 6)
- Fall themed word lists (pg. 7)
- Extension Worksheet for Word Lists (pg. 8)
- Print out word cards, list, mat, and extension activities.
- Students can complete this activity in a center or small group.
When using word cards, students will find four cards of the same color. They will place all 4 cards on their alphabet mat. They will use the alphabet at the top of the mat to place the words in ABC order.
- Students will record their answers on the extension worksheet and choose two of the fall themed words to write a sentence on the back of the worksheet.
- For students, who are more comfortable with ABC order, they can use the word lists and place the words in ABC order. There is an alphabet at the bottom of the extension worksheet to help them. Students will record their answers on the extension worksheet and write a sentence with two of their words.
I am so pleased to share some different center ideas with you. I am passionate about differentiation and believe that it is so important to make it easier for the classroom teacher to differentiate. I hope that my centers save you some time and provide your students with enjoyment!
Please leave feedback for my product. I am thrilled to receive your feedback, suggestions, and requests. I look forward to working with you!